All of my paintings start with drawings made on location, sometimes quick intuitive sketches, others longer, more observed studies. Whilst I may start by making quite figurative drawings, I’m looking for that dialogue with the landscape, refiguring the geographical elements and shifting the compositional structure.
I don’t want to give you a formal view but moreover to re-envision the shapes and forms I see before me; actions that are deliberately spontaneous and to make shape and colour paramount in my work. To distill down the complexity of a scene and abstractly express the unfolding landscape. To give you a sense of the emotion, as well as the topography of the land.
Solo and Joint Shows
• ME Gallery, ‘A Song of Travel’ joint show with Debbie Mackinnon December 2019
• ARO Gallery, Sydney, ‘Near and Far’ joint show with Debbie Mackinnon July 2019
• Juniper Gallery, Perth, solo show, ‘Boundless Horizons’ March 2019
• ME Gallery, ‘Two Artists One Journey’ joint show with Debbie Mackinnon March 2018
• Moochinside Gallery, Hardy’s Bay, ongoing work available
• Mosman Art Prize selected finalist 2002
• Hunters Hill Art Prize selected finalist 2017
• Lethbridge 10000 Art Prize selected finalist 2017
• Adelaide Perry Prize for Drawing selected finalist 2018
• Fleurieu Biennale selected finalist 2018
• Gosford Art Prize selected finalist 2018
• Muswellbrook Art Prize selected finalist 2019
• Lethbridge 20000 Art Prize selected finalist 2020
• Pro Hart Outback Art Prize selected finalist 2020
Diploma in Design – Plymouth College of Art and Design
Selected for a residency at Joya AiR, Andalusia, Spain, October 2017
Join my mailing list for updates on exhibitions, art classes and new works.